A study released today by HealthStuff.org found elevated levels of toxic chemicals in popular Halloween costumes, accessories and even “trick or treat” bags. Dangerous chemicals like phthalates, flame retardants, vinyl (PVC) plastic, organotins, and even lead.
There is really no excuse for having such high quantities in children’s costumes, accessories or decorations as these chemicals can have profound health effects including asthma, learning disabilities, hormone disruption, reproductive problems, birth defects, liver toxicity and cancer.
At a time when parents and kids are celebrating, worry over being exposed to toxins should be the farthest thing from our minds.
Tell the retailers of these products “enough is enough”! Take action today at Safer Chemicals, Health Families.
Study Details: The study tested 44 costumes, 40 accessories and 21 decorations (make up and face paint were not tested). The following retailers and products
- 30 Halloween LED C3 Lights: PVC insulation containing 0.25% bromine (indicating flame retardant use) and 0.5% antimony
- Big Bop Light Stick: PVC components with organotin compounds (1,400 ppm tin)
- Flicker Lights: 6.5% bromine (indicating flame retardant use) and 1% antimony
- Cars Halloween Bag: 2.8% bromine (indicating flame retardant use) and 0.77% antimony
- Princess Halloween Bag: 0.6% bromine (indicating flame retardant use) and 0.24% antimony
Party City Retailed
- Silver Princess Tiara: 0.38% bromine (indicating flame retardant use), 0.33% chlorine and 0.09% antimony.
- Pink Butterfly Set – Wings, Tiara and Wand: PVC components with organotin compounds (1,720 ppm tin)
- Disney Cinderella Dress: 0.1% bromine (indicating flame retardant use) in fabric
- Disney Wall Art: 16% regulated phthalates
- Orange Pumpkin Lights: 6.7% bromine (indicating flame retardant use) and 1.2% antimony in cord insulation
- Deluxe Fairy Costume Dress and Wings: 420 ppm lead in glitter trim on wings
- Toddler Batman Muscle Costume: In the yellow belt, we measured 29% regulated phthalates (290,000 ppm) and 340 ppm tin. In the inside of the mask, we measured 120 ppm lead and in the blue fabric, bromine 860 ppm.
- Disney Wall Art: 16% regulated phthalaltes (160,000 ppm)
- Glam Heels: PVC straps with organotin compounds (1,000 ppm tin)
If you believe you or someone you love has been exposed to toxic environmental chemicals, we may be able to help. To schedule an appointment call us at 503-287-4970.