- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella cheese sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- Sea Salt
- Freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons drained capers (optional)
- 1/4 cup extra-vergin olive oil
In a circular design around the side of a serving plate, alternate fresh mozzarella slices with sliced tomatoes, overlapping to look like a pinwheel. Tear and sprinkle your fresh basil leaves on top. Salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle capers if desired.
Just before serving, drizzle your best extra-virgin olive oil. Insalata Caprese should never be allowed to sit in oil for any length of time and become soggy, and no vinegar should be used on this type of salad – not even balasamic.
Photo Courtesy Flickr.